Description[edit | edit source]
Upon construction of a workshop, engineers may be assigned to research and develop ideas on new buildings and technological improvements. Technological Improvement has the general effects of boosting exploration, improving insulation in the home/workplace, increasing resource gathering rates and upgrading the power/efficiency of heating sources. Technological development is crucial to building a viable city, sound planning and prioritization of technologies will prevent crises and allow a greater level of adaptation and manageability when challenges present themselves. Some technologies may be required to be researched in some scenarios to be able to finish objectives. Some technologies may also be 'found' or entirely absent depending on the scenario played.
The ''Tech Tree'' itself is presented visually (upon first workshop construction) to provide a high level of clarity regarding the interrelation of technologies and the order in which each 'branch' must be researched. In addition to this the tree is organised into tiers 0-5, the tiers must be unlocked by researching them and provide no direct benefits themselves but enable ever more advanced technologies to be acquired. The tiers function as an independent additional branch, requiring the previous tier to be unlocked. The following tree represents workshop tiers on the left side and techs unlocked by this tier are shown on the same row to the right of the tier mention. The following graph also displays the 4 tabs offered by the tech tree, each tab provides options and upgrades to different sectors of the city. The upgrades in each tab are unaffected by upgrades in other tabs although the tiers apply to the whole tree. Having multiple manned workshops will increase research rate but not necessarily in a linear fashion, using children as engineering apprentices will also provide an additional boost. Automatons may also operate a workshop non-stop if upgraded to do so.
Technology Tree[edit | edit source]
Heating[edit | edit source]
Exploration & Industry[edit | edit source]
Resources[edit | edit source]
This tech tab provides options to improve resources gather rate and workplace insulation.
Food, Health & Shelter[edit | edit source]
This tech tab provides improvements to food gathering, upgrading of shelter/medical facility insulation and the effectiveness of medical treatment.
Unique Technologies[edit | edit source]
Unique technologies refer to technologies that are exclusively available or unavailable depending on the scenario played. These include the following:
Exclusively Available[edit | edit source]
- Automaton Scouts (The Arks)
- Beacon: Stereoscopic Lenses (A New Home)
- Repair Station (The Fall of Winterhome)
- Repair Station Efficiency I (The Fall of Winterhome)
- Repair Station Efficiency II (The Fall of Winterhome)
- Repair Station Efficiency III (The Fall of Winterhome)
- Optimized Shifts (The Fall of Winterhome)
- Emergency Repair (The Fall of Winterhome)
- Emergency Repair II (The Fall of Winterhome)
[edit | edit source]
- Hunters' Gear, Hunting Tactics, Flying Hunters, Flying Hunters' Gear (Unavailable only in The Arks, necessitating the use of a Hot House)
- Factory (Unavailable for research in The Arks but obtainable through scouting, when the scout returns to the city, it will appear as researched in the tech tree)
Some other techs can be randomly unlocked by scouting locations in different scenarios, if said locations offer tech drops.